Onions have been used in culinary aspect for centuries in many different cuisines all over the world since they enhance the nice pungent flavor to various dishes and salads. Moreover, onions are beneficial since they contain vitamin C as well as vitamin B, dietary fiber and folic acid which can offer many health benefits.
However, one thing that many people complain about onion is onion breath. A nasty smell from onion can linger in the mouth for a long time and cause discomfort for many surrounding people. It is caused by chewing raw onion. The sulfurous properties found plenty in onion are the main culprits of this condition. When the raw onion is digested, the scent molecules will approach the lungs through blood stream and give rise to bad onion odor when you exhale. However, cooked onion will be fine. They can be consumed without causing any nasty odor.
Moreover, some factors such as smoking, medications gum diseases and mouth dryness may worsen the problem since they contribute to nasty breath. One of the best ways to treat the onion breath is to stop chewing raw onions. However, if raw onion is your favorite, you might seek for other home remedies which can significantly help you in treating the bad breath from consuming raw onion.
- BAKING SODA
Baking soda counts for another very effective treatment for onion breathe. It is able to neutralize the onion breath, exterminate the development of harmful bacteria as well as maintain the pH balance of the mouth.
- Mix some baking soda with sea salt into a cup of warm water
- Use this solution to gargle for several times a day to treat onion breath effectively.
Parsley is another effective remedy to fully treat bad breath particularly onion breath. It consists of chlorophyll which can counteract the bad breath.
- Soak a handful of fresh parsley leaves in vinegar and put a bit salt on them
- You can take them and chew them for several minutes so that they can help you to ward off bad breath.
- Add some coarsely chopped parsley in 2 glasses of water
- You can add 2 – 3 cloves and boil the solution
- Strain it and let it cool down to the room temperature before consuming it.
- MUSTARD SAUCE
Mustard sauce is very effective remedy when it comes to treat onion breath. The powerful aroma of mustard sauce will cover the onion smell and keep it at bay.
- Put some mustard sauce inside your mouth
- Swish it for a couple of minutes and spit it out.
- Take another spoon of mustard sauce and swallow it.
- Rinse again with water
- Repeat it as much as you need.
Mint is packed with chlorophyll, therefore, it can freshen your breath and cover the onion smell. In addition, it possesses mild antiseptic properties which can effectively treat the bad breath caused by germ and bacteria.
- You can put some of crushed mint leaves into a cup of hot water
- Cover and let it sit for about 10 minutes
- Strain it and you might add some honey to enhance the taste
- Consume this tea several times a day so that your onion will be fully kept at bay.
- Crush some fresh mint leaves and orally consume it
- It will work effectively right after you eat raw onions.
- You may opt for mint – flavored candies or chewing gums.
The citric scent from lemons will neutralize the bad smell caused by chewing raw onion. In addition, it possesses antibacterial as well as antiseptic compounds which will ward off bacteria that are responsible for bad breath. Otherwise, do you know lemon and honey can grow thicker eyebrows as well.
- Add some lemon juice to a glass of water and stir it well
- Use this solution to wash your mouth thoroughly several times a day till the scent has faded away.
- Consume 1 – 2 cups of fresh lemonade to get rid of onion breath
- APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
Apple cider vinegar can neutralize onion breath and it can destroy germ in the mouth which is responsible for bad breath.
- Mix some apple cider vinegar into a glass of warm water.
- Use this solution to gargle for several times a day.
- Mix ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar, 3 drops of clove oil, 1 tablespoon of honey and tincture of myrrh in a cup.
- Add some hot water and stir it well
- Use the solution to gargle and exterminate the onion breath.
Jelly Jeff is a senior editor of AuthorityRemedies ; that a website which is specialized in providing natural home remedies, tips and also nutrition facts to improve the well-beings. She is a nurse but she keens to explore nutrition and fitness. In addition, she loves writing and doing research. She appreciates to be a good writer in nutrition.